headlight help please

View previous topic View next topic Go down

headlight help please

Post  mickey c on Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:33 am

Hi all
still looking for the slowest re-build record but could be entering the home straight.  I'm trying to sort the headlight and headset and bought these of Rimini believing these were the hard to find headlight springs.  Are they?  Where / how do they go?  

g

I've also seen advice of putting a carb spring between the headlight and mounting point - which makes sense.

Any pointers or pictures would be really helpful please?

thanks
Mike" />

mickey c

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: headlight help please

Post  Thackers on Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:38 am

Hi Mickey, the headlight springs were rare but thanks to Rimini it's another part re-made to help us Luna fans out. I'm needing a pair but until I have something to order from them alongside the springs I'll have to wait as postage makes them too dear on their own.
They fit under the handlebars in the headlight unit, if you look there's a groove in the bars where they go. They then sit down in the head set and push the headlight to the required position (the round bit goes under the handlebars ). I hope this is clear enough to understand, i'm not very good on explaining stuff.
I've just seen a photo on the Luna Projects page which might help. If you have a look at the thread by Trotsky (latest project) on the second page he has a pic of the headset with the light not yet fitted, you can just see the spring sitting down in the headlight unit. Trotsky's work and that thread in general are the "go to" in my opinion. cheers
Thackers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:39 pm

Thanks for the reply Thackers
That thread is really good & helped loads with my project as have all the other threads & advice from you guys!
However I would still be stuck without your help on this, I would never have worked it out. Handlebars up tonight & hopefully get them fitted.
Thanks again
Mike

mickey c

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Can I just check please?

Post  mickey c on Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:53 am

I am king of the school boy error & couldn't see the set up in the thread suggested. Before I press on can I just check that my logic skills are correct? Is this how they should look ?

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y423/mickecowell45/image_zpsosl5pt1o.jpeg

mickey c

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trotsky on Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi Mickey, yep that's spot on. As well as carb springs for tension & to push the headlight thru the rim i think i also used a "w" top spring clip as on S3/GPs etc on the top of the rim & headlight, that helped balance the tension top & bottom if that makes sense?.....Looking good sir  Wink  ...Steve
trotsky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c on Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:34 am

Thanks very much for confirming that Steve & the positive comments. Thanks also for the tip about a top Spring, I did wonder about that & feared it would be a bit like a search light of the sky!

Bit gutted that my school boy error ability has surfaced buying the wrong GP headlight bulb holder, no way it will fit. Ordered a new one (the right one!) but no run up the road Xmas morning as I hoped. I'll just have to start on the gin early instead!

Merry Christmas all!

mickey c

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trotsky on Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:58 pm

No worries Mickey, you might get a beam somewhere near pointing at the road!!

Enjoy all.... drunken drunken Wink
trotsky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails on Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:46 am

Something seems strangely wrong in this picture Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Snails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:20 am

yeah the school boy error was not the wrong bulb holder, merely it being upside down! Embarassed
in my defence, I have made many worse school boy errors than this!

mickey c

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum