engine re-build advice please.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

engine re-build advice please.

Post  mickey c on Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:19 am

Good afternoon all
I’ve got my 2nd attempt at my MOT on Wednesday – hopefully the MOT guy will know how sort this without a registration number. Getting this and better electrics will have this scooter in the ‘project complete’ department.
I’m now asking advice as I’ve had lots of spares left over – in fact a complete 75 cc Vega engine – so whilst I can remember vaguely what I’m doing and to tidy up a bit – I’m going to re-build a spare or a base for maybe another project.
I’d like a bit more oomph over standard Vega but not necessarily the 8 bhp ‘monster’ (details to be confirmed when it’s been on the dyno) that t nearly finished project will hopefully be.
I’m aware the scooter tuning book from the 60’s is a good read and I quite fancy trying some home tuning but also know other newer ‘stuff’ is out there.
I don’t want to spend a mint either but the engine was seized and crank looks dodgy so I will get this split and bearings replaced. SR doing a new Con Rod for £40 which seams good but I also note use of Japanese con rods – do these have shorter or longer strokes and would add a bit more power.
The barrel also needs a re-bore and I would guess choice of Con Rod would affect the following but again any suggestions of good value for money piston would be greatly appreciated.
I’ve still got the original carb plus a delly 20 and 22 jetex in the garage so will keep costs down using which of these appears best as opposed to trying to do my own reed valve conversion.
Whilst I get the above sent off to the pros – I’ll start the bottom end. Just looking at price of bearings has surprised me as I don’t remember them being so expensive! Paying a few extra £ per bearing for quality products makes lots of sense to me but does anyone have suggestion of bets place to get an engine bearing set please? Ideally for the less than £150 it’s looking like so far in my searches.

Thanks as ever in advance.

mickey c

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: engine re-build advice please.

Post  Snails on Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:05 am

Mike - try here for your bearings. Very good value but I'd avoid the cheaper ones that aren't FAG etc

http://simplybearings.co.uk/
Snails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails on Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:08 am

Not sure what you mean by 'other newer stuff is out there' other than the Casa kit. That's it.

Might be cheaper than your rebore and new piston so I would go for that anyway and fit a std crank
Snails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c on Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:53 am

Thanks for the bearings link. Are you Anorak enough to have the part no.s or sizes handy?

As for the 'newer stuff' I was thinking as the crank needs new bearing do I get standard con rod from SR or is a certain Japenese etc better for not massively more money?

Edited to try to make some sense. Flipping spell checker

Last edited by mickey c on Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : R)

mickey c

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails on Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:58 am

Do you mean the con rod? I would just use the SR one unless there is some advantage of using a different one?
Snails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:27 am

Deleted as double posted none sense!

Last edited by mickey c on Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

mickey c

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:53 am