Codename Novelty

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

And then there was silence

Post  Admin on Wed May 23, 2012 11:31 am

It seems an age since I posted anything about Novelty. A combination of work, other issues and a request to re-publish the Lambretta Bible have seen Novelty consigned to the garage from where it hasn't turned a wheel in months.

On reflection I've started to re think my ideas for the scooter. Given that the only 50C machines I've seen have been factory restorations so that's not an option for me. I'm keen to keep the original handlebars and seat so it's cosmetic changes that will be the order of the day. Might still see if the offer of the candy blue paint still stands.

Watch this space the summers approaching and the Lui will be meeting the toolbox!
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://lunaownersclub.lifediscussion.net

Back to top Go down

Off again

Post  Admin on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:56 am

This week has seen me bring the Lui out of garage number 2 and into garage number 1. The seat is off, so is the tank but the old fuel pipe is proving to be a nightmare to get off of the fuel tap - I can feel a hairdrier moment coming!!!

I had often wondered why the rear brake had seemed useless - thats because no cable was fitted - hmm, interesting if you tried to stop this on the road!

The rear shocker set up is yet another Innocenti piece of daft engineering. To get at the bolt that holds the rear shocker to the engine you have to remove the rear wheel because you can't get at the bolt to securely hold it while undoing the nut at the front. Who thought of this? I reckon they're laughing now at hoards of Lambretta owners trying to strip stuff that was easy to them but a mare to us!

The stand spring is a thing of beauty - in fact, when I turn the scooter upside down to work on it I'll take photos of the stand spring set up and you can see what a nightmare it truly it - and trust me it is.

I have found an original rear light unit and alsmost choked at the price - £100 plus. Whether I fit one or not is a different matter. I'm trying at present to keep costs down so am doing a bit of a rusteration which will be fine until I want to strip and re-do the scooter back to its original glory.

Once I've got some photos done I'll post them up so you can see my progress.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

rear light unit

Post  littlewilly on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Here's one cheaper than that on ebay ATM m8 - I need one + the
number plate bracket part also - but I'll use a bean can and a lens
from a scrap yard before I pay those prices.
I keep hoping they'll turn-up somewhere but how long that will
take I've no idea, I won't hold my breath though coz the whole bike
has only just turned-up after being mislaid for the last 38 years Embarassed
Although now, I've finished my engine work it's now about time to
have to deal with all the body refurbishing bits an the prices that
accompany them too Crying or Very sad at least we can all take Solace at not
being all alone in the act Razz maybe? Rolling Eyes

a bit of silver-lining it's only £38.00 Shocked

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180931446171?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Last edited by littlewilly on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:04 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : up-date)

littlewilly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Codename Novelty

Post  Admin on Tue May 07, 2013 3:42 am

Seems an age since I wrote anything about the Lui - perhaps because, nothing has happened to the scooter to warrant a mention. In the time since I last wrote anything I have sold my Lambretta Vega and now have the Lui to concentrate on. I had the dubious task of clearing out my garage last week BUT that has meant that I have managed to look through boxes and find things I'd forgotten I'd got and to actually get the Lui out.

So far the petrol tank has been removed, as has the inner legshield beam. I have found a spare set of mudguards and a J range flywheel cover. These can all now go to Jubilee Scooters. I had toyed with the idea of having the scooter sprayed in the metallic green that early Vespas came in as I think it would look good but I've ditched that idea. I'm not set on a scheme yet but have a few ideas I want to run past Mark at Jubilee.

The spare stand I have needs either to be powder coated or sprayed, as do the hubs and engine casing.

Once the first lot of bits have gone to Mark I will strip the rest of the scooter and he can have them as well.

So the progress is sow but I think now I've only got the Lui to sort out it will be quicker than trying to sort the Vega as well. Watch this space!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

On with the job

Post  Admin on Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:35 am

So after much messing around, I've finally got to do some work on the Lui. Seat and petrol tank came off no problem, as did the centre beam. The next item on the agenda were the mudguards which I had stupidly thought I'd remove with the wheels still in place. No such luck - even though there is a small amount of room on the front to be able to just about pull this stunt off. Anyway, the front wheel nuts were removed and the front wheel dropped down and it was then an easy task to remove the three fastenings that hold the front mudguard in place.

The next item was to remove the rear wheel which I had taken off in the past so the three nuts undid easily as they were only hand tight. The rear mudguard as you will know is held in place by 4 self tapping screws - strangely the two at the rear of the scooter are removed using a flat had screwdriver and the two underneath the frame are removed using a Philips head screwdriver. Bizarre - but thats Innocenti for you!! Once removed the mudguard was off and I looked at the rear shocker - it's decided that it doesn't want to budge - well, thats OK for now - ha ha - I'll sort it though. The engine bolt is out and my next job is to drop the engine out of the frame.

Back to the front wheel and I removed the hub and then split the rims - nice to see that they are Innocenti stamped items and they have minial rust on the inside.

So far, so good. It's looking promising. I still have to get up to see Mark at Jubilee Scooters to drop my bodywork off but its pencilled in for this week. Then its a case of seeing what paint he has....blimey, I hope he has some nice paint hanging around!!!

The kickstart, headlight and stand have gone to JL Polishing in Hinckley to be cleaned up and either polished (fixing on the base of the headset) or tidied up for powder coating and chroming (stand and kickstart). JL will polish all of the engine fixings and the rear of the casing.

So after a sojourn I'm now firmly in the groove!!!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Codename Novelty

Post  daz.h on Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:31 pm

from what ive seen, jl will do a great job
daz.h

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Novelty Continues....

Post  Admin on Tue May 27, 2014 4:37 am

Since owning the Lui I've managed to own and sell another 2 Luna line machines and still little progress has been made on her. I could list a wide variety of excuses BUT they would just be excuses, I guess life gets in the way of projects and I suffer just like everyone else.
Having looked at my garage last weekend I decided that the Lui needed to be on a bench and if she was, she'd be easier to work on. Now there is a large metal bench in my garage, it was there when we moved in and has been used to store stuff on, rather than as a bench. Suffice to say, this large, immovable bench would be best suited to having the Lui sat on it rather than a pile of scooter parts. GP sidepanels anyone?
Having moved all of our scooters out of the garage meant the way was clear to move the assorted scooter parts and accessories off of the bench and for the Lui to be put on it.

Moving the Lui was easy enough, well it should have been BUT I had removed the wheels - oh, how popular was I when I asked for a hand just to lift her!! Anyway, up on the bench she went.
First job was to get the engine out and the engine bolt proved that no grease in 40 odd years doesn't make for an easy job but eventually the old favourites of a mallet and a drift saw the bolt pop out. The rear shock absorber was the next to be removed. Having the scooter on the bench meant that access to the bottom bolt was easy from the engine side but it was the top mount with its "past its best" bush that proved hardest to remove. Eventually she pop off.

The shocker isn't in back nick but could do with new bushes and a paint job, but then again it may just be easier to replace it with a new item.
With the shocker off and the engine bolt out the engine dropped and it was easy enough to manoeuvre out of the way. Why I hadn't bothered to put the scooter on the bench 2 years ago is beyond me. A quick look over the engine casing for cracks or defects didn't reveal any. Amazing to see the engine so close up, you realise how miniature it really is, especially the carb!

The legshield screws all came out easily enough - they have been replaced at some point as they were a mix of allen head and Phillips head screws. The rear brake pedal was released from its non existent cable and removed. Its in good order but will need re-fettling.
I was annoyed with the rear frame badge as one of the two prongs broke when I gently removed it. I realised that whoever had painted the scooter in its pearlescent white coat had paint over the 2 plastic lugs that hold the badge in place. Net result was that as I gently prised the badge up, one side came free easily enough, the other was effectively stuck in place and the badge broke. Bugger!
All of the cables had been snipped at the engine end and were easy enough to pull through and loop together. Handle bar bolt undone and the handlebars came off easy enough. Just the forks to drop and then the legsheilds can be removed. I don't have a tool for removing the two bolts that hold the fork in place at the top so that'll need sorting - for now though, the forks stay in place.

Well, that's it for now but a large amount of progress has been made and its moving along nicely - just need to sort a shopping list for the old, missing or broken parts!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

More Progress

Post  Admin on Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:49 am

Progress on the Lui is coming on nicely, not necessarily in terms of stripping her down but in terms of sourcing parts etc.

I have spoken to Jason Frost at Absolutely Scooters and have managed to secure an order on the Vega race seats that he had previously had made. The Lui isn't going to be a factory resto so a different seat isn't an issue. I did think of doing it back to factory standard but then thought that the world didn't need another all white Lui 50C. Plus, it will be good to have something different in terms of paint schemes - no thanks to an old blurred Royspeed image for that one - you'll have to wait for the completed scooter to see what I mean.

My mate Doug Turner has provided me with a spare set of wheel rims which will be built up to go on the spare wheel which will sit on my spare wheel carrier - its not a common item and was sourced via Dean at RLC in Rimini. Not cheap but then quality costs I guess.

I'm now at the stage where I'll be writing my shopping list of things that are needed for the re-build - starting with a new rear shocker! Pass me the pen and paper..... Very Happy 
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

To the paint shop.....

Post  Admin on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:36 am

Having now got a small pile of parts that the painter can look at and discuss paint schemes it was off to Jubilee Scooters in Loughborough to have a chat with Mark.

Now Mark has never worked on a Luna line machine before so it was lesson in what goes where and how much smaller Luna line parts are in respect of their larger cousins the Li's, GPs etc.

Once he'd got his head round what was what it was time to talk paint and I make no excuses here, as I've already said, the Lui won't be going back together in its all white paint scheme, there are enough standard machines about. The aim with the Lui is to create something eye catching which I think we'll do, I'm not going to give the game away and explain the scheme or the colours we're using. But we did discuss some nice shiny paint....

I need to get the rest of the scooter broken down now so that it can all be at the painters for when my slot comes up in his busy schedule. So far it's all looking good.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:30 am

Exciting stuff. Nice to see it moving along at last.
Snails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top