Project Armitage Shanks

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Project Armitage Shanks

Post  robd on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:16 am

This is my new project. Named Armitage Shanks on account of it being a shitter.

Bought on a whim from ebay, collected in a rush in the dark and literally thrown in the back of the car.

Now the hard work starts...

Hmmm, crunchy...

I find struts more rigid when attached to the leggies AND the frame Shocked

Ah well, removing the seized brake pedal was easier with disposable struts

robd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Project armitage shanks

Post  gc on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:28 am

Go on Rob - you know you want to ! Smile
gc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Project Armitage Shanks

Post  robd on Fri May 10, 2013 11:35 am

Gary, I'm already wishing I'd never started Laughing

Right, on with the next thrilling installment. While the frames off at Scootopia getting new cross members I thought I'd make a start on the forks.

My low expectations were met when I took the front mudguard off and one of the bolts had sheared off. In the past when parts were more plentiful and cheaper I've sourced another set of forks but seeing as I'm already over budget with this heap that's not going to happen. The steering lock stop has also gone walkabout but I'll deal with that later.

Getting to the threaded boss with any sort of tool is a nightmare because the other fork leg is always in the way. I managed to grind away most of the offending bolt with a ball ended burr in the dremel which took ages and after all that I couldn't do a good enough job to save the threads and get it all out.

I spoke to a few people for ideas which included drilling a hole from the other side of the leg to get better access to the threaded boss and then welding the hole up afterwards. Seeing as my welding isn't cosmetically or structurally great that'd cost a fair bit to get someone else to do so I decided to replace the boss completely. I turned up a bit of mild steel bar to 12mm outside diameter, drilled and tapped to M5 and then cut it off at 5mm long (the same dimensions as the original).

A bit of dremel action later and the old boss was gone. It'd been a lot quicker with the angle grinder but it's so tight in there and I didn't want to damage the rest of the forks.

In place, lined up with the hole in the fork leg. I'll get a more skilled person to tack in on when I get the damper mounts welded.

Next stop fork links!

robd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robd on Fri May 10, 2013 2:23 pm

Some shiney bits also turned up this week Very Happy

Unfortunately as I had forgotten about the differences in the casings (exhaust mounting lugs on the flywheel housing), it was shortly followed by the purchase of this...

...which I'll be gnawing away at for some time I predict Rolling Eyes

robd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trotsky on Fri May 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Hi Rob, i also got one of them exhausts, i'm sure your dry building 1st, but just to let you know you'll need to fettle the exhaust bracket a fair bit around the head cowl area. Coming along though, bloody money pits these things Laughing ..Steve
trotsky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails on Sun May 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi

Looks like a tasty project you have

What are you planning on doing with the sheet metal to get round the exhaust mounting issue? I made a similar mistake with my lui and ended up having a lug welded on to the engine casing

Ed
Snails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h on Sun May 12, 2013 3:18 pm

some good work going on already rob, nice touch with the new mudguard mounts .
daz.h

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robd on Sun May 12, 2013 3:32 pm

Cheers, it's all a bit fluid at the moment. I was set on a casa 80 kit and foolishly bought one before I stripped the engine. Since doing that I've discovered I need a new crank so with hindsight I wish I hadn't and had gone down the J125 route. If I can sell the casa I'll do that, else I'll buy a new lui crank or try and find a used one and get a new rod in it.

It's 10mm aluminium plate, that's the thickness of the flywheel cover lugs on the casing. I'm got to cut out a section to weld onto the casing similar to you. What I'll probably do though is make one piece rather than having separate top and bottom lugs, that way the welder can't weld it in the wrong place and it should be a bit stronger.

robd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails on Mon May 13, 2013 12:42 pm

Good thinking Rob as it was a bit of a worry getting it located right. Don't make it so big it rubs on the rear wheel either or you will have to grind it back down.
Snails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robd on Fri May 17, 2013 4:32 pm

Have been a bit short of time this week, managed to collect the frame with the new struts welded on (lovely job done by Scootopia) and a few odds and sods in preparation for the rebuild. Desperately need to tidy up in the garage as I can only work outside at the moment due to the amount of shit in there which is hampering progress. I did attack the frame with some farecla G3 so it looks a little bit better. No paint job planned short term so that's all it'll get bar a dusting of ACF50.

I don't want to bore people with endless pictures and rambling but I'm going to anyway as it seems to be keeping the momentum up!

Did manage to make a start on the electronic conversion and the vega-esque exhaust bracket for the lui casing.

Boss removed from the AFR flywheel, since this photo all bar 2 of the vega boss rivets removed, just need half an hour uninterrupted to get clear in my head where the keyway and firing pints will be relative to each other before I finish taking it apart.

£1.99 contour gauge from wilkos, saves time faffing about with trial and error.

Transferred the shape to a card template to prove to myself it was right and after checking it against the casing used it to mark up the aluminium plate.

Being 10mm thick it's a pain to cut accurately so I had planned to rough it out on the bench grinder. After 2 minutes I'd removed bugger all and decided a better idea would be to centre punch and chain drill along the profile and then cut between the holes with a hacksaw. This turned out to be a much better idea.

Still got to finish it off with a hand file and do the same to the side of the bracket where the exhaust bolts on but I ran out of playtime Crying or Very sad

robd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails on Fri May 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Looking good Rob - keep up the waffling its all interesting and I wish I'd someone to follow before I did mine - that contour gauge is brill. How does it work?
Snails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top