Another silly question!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Another silly question!

Post  Snails on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:16 pm

Right, its a bit embarrassing but i cant work out how the lower headstock fits to the fork tube. I can push it on so far but then the path of the fork tube is blocked by the part of the headstock where the bolt to tighten the head stock to the forks goes. Hopefully the picture below illustrates this.

What blindingly obvious thing am I missing?

Snails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Another silly question!

Post  Scooter Paul on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:12 am

The bolt that tightens the lower headstock to the fork stem goes through two collars. One is threaded, the 'inner' one and the other isnt. As the bolt is tightened the two collars contract holding it all together. If the inner one (inserted before sliding the headstock onto the tube) isn't fully pushed in it will give the problem you describe. The bolt is long enough to engage with it and pull it back into place.

Paul

Scooter Paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails on Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks Paul I will give that a go. I think I may need to remove some of the powder coat and paint to free things up first.

Snails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooter Paul on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:17 pm

Most definately. The collars are an interference fit so any paint or powder coat will mean they don't slide in properly. A drill bit the same OD as the collars twiddled with your fingers into the hole and deep enough to clean out all of the paint is what you need. Also make sure they are inserted the correct way with the cut aways in the centre to fit either side of the steering stem. good luck.

Scooter Paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top