clutch plates

View previous topic View next topic Go down

clutch plates

Post  Thackers on Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:52 pm

Do the clutch plates from the larger series fit our Luna clutch baskets? And has anyone done a 5 plate conversion to fit the Luna range. thanks.
Thackers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: clutch plates

Post  Scooter Paul on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:23 am

I'm saying 'no'. I think it's bizzare but the diameter appears the same but the tangs are slightly smaller on the Vega. Why they couldn't have been made the same to rationalise parts across the range I have no idea. I believe I'm right as I had to modify a clutch holder to fit the Vega basket. I'm open to be proved wrong by someone that has found a way round it though. Everythings possible.

Paul
Scooter Paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:55 am

Thanks for that Paul, I was thinking about using four plates from this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAMBRETTA-LI-READSPEED-5-PLATE-CLUTCH-KIT-SPRINGS-/351043506729?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item51bbd2d229
so would probably have to file the tabs a little, I doubt all five would fit in.
I've been getting real bad clutch slip yesterday, I've got uprated springs in there and the plates haven't done that many miles and when the reed valve is fitted and tuning done it won't stand a chance without something new in there. Maybe it's the springs, I'd just rather cut to the chase and sort it in one hit, so to speak.
Thackers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  daz.h on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:29 am

saw the Vega yesterday Thackers but never saw you, did you see the green vega ? that had a reed valve on it by the looks of it.
I have fitted li plates in a Vega before, as scooter Paul says the tabs need fettling a little.
daz.h

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gc on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:25 pm

Read "clutch conversion" in Tech tips and hints for more info on same subject.
gc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:57 pm

I did read that thread after doing a search, but after I'd posted  Embarassed Embarassed  I thought someone might have picked up on the 5/4 plate thing if they had done it that way, I've pm'd Joey to see what he has come up with.

Daz, sorry I missed you and the green Vega it was a great day out but the wind had picked up on the way home ( around 6pm after visiting a old friend) and the clutch really let me know it wasn't happy Mad
I was also informed that a 5 speed gear box is on the way too  Shocked 
Thackers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weeks on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:10 am

Think some of our Vega owners have uprated their clutches and as far as im aware it was an easy process and pretty cheap too  Wink 

Personally ive not had any clutch issues on mine so happy to leave it standard  ............ Just a question though

Sometimes I read people wanting to uprate Lambretta clutches to multiple plates because the one fitted slips ect but many of those standard clutches are just not either set up correctly / poorly fitted or sub standard parts used ect.

Not sure how many miles you have ridden before you suffered problems but as the event was local id say not many to warrant clutch issues .......... Good luck in sorting it
Weeks

View user profile http://www.ilambretta.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:16 am

I've now removed the pates etc , the plates that I was sure I'd changed were in fact changed on my G.P which I was working on at the same time Embarassed Embarassed Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes The plates that came out the Vega look original with a "I" logo on them and are very worn, I did change the springs to uprated ones, why I didn't change the lot baffles me Embarassed Embarassed (must be my age) So I guess i'll stick the standard new plates in along with some new springs.
I would be interested in beefing up the clutch though, how did your club mates go about it? If you don't mind me asking?
Thackers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:26 am

Also, could someone give me the total thickness size of the 3 corks and steel plates that make up the clutch when new, thanks ?
Thackers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shand on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:44 pm

I didn't see this post and started a new thread, i tried some series 3 corks in the basket and they fitted fine ? to look at the only difference was the cork pads were larger. The vega corks I took out did not look worn but they were very dark and polished though three plates measured 10.4 mm so maybe they are same thickness as series 3 corks (14mm rule applies)
shand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top