12 volt conversion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

12 volt conversion

Post  mickey c on Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi all
I'm doing some planning / window shopping & am looking for the 'off the shelf' 12 volt conversion but all I can find is variatronic at about £300!!
Is there another option available please? That's well outside my budget!
Thanks
Mike

mickey c

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 12 volt conversion

Post  Thackers on Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:21 pm

I think that's the only one "off the shelf" you can buy. The alternative, as usual is quite a long road to go down. Involving a lightened flywheel machined down so it goes in the mag housing which then has to have a luna boss fitted, the stator has to be re-done to take the 12v gubbins usually from a PX donor then fitted to a luna stator back plate then the usual 12v regulator and cdi.
I think you could do it also with a Sunny stator but you must get the corresponding flywheel, I think I read somewhere Scooter Resto are out of stock on these, but check.
I know there was a shortcut on the larger series to get 12v lights, which I think was a simple upgrade by just using a 12v regulator on a 6v system, but I'm again not 100% on that
I'm pretty sure there's plenty on this subject within the pages on this forum, use the site search option, it might bring the topic up
Thackers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

12 volt kit

Post  mickey c on Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks for the reply
& ouch this looks like paying the same for an extra 6 volts as I paid for the vega.
I did have a search & found out (a bit ) about the modifying lightened flywheels. & home brewed stator; that sounds really tricky.
If the only off the shelf option is variatronic , I might go down the keep orignal electrics road !

mickey c

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooter Paul on Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:49 am

I've always found the original electrics, in fine fettle, aren't too bad at all.

Paul
Scooter Paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers on Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:07 am

Yes, like Paul says the original system is ok. You could always fit a new set of points and change the bulbs to 6v LED.
I have just checked Scooter Restorations and they are showing the Sunny items in stock, so food for thought.
I did my 12v conversion because the rear light was poor (I got stopped by the police) and getting the right bulbs was a pain plus with the 135cc I thought vibration and points were not going to get along together
Thackers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:02 pm

Thanks guys
I am doing at least 125 conversion & imagine the starstream barrel will need a re bore so think I might be equally shaky!
I can't remember the last time I set points up but will do so rather than spend £300 on electronic unit.
The food for thought with sunny stator intrigues me! Would the sunny stator fit on starstream crank? I would presume so but any info regarding this will be much appreciated. I'll have a look now & let you know what transpires.

mickey c

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wack 63 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:04 pm

As Dave has said, there is an easy 12v conversion using your existing stator which involves joining some of your stators wires together http://www.ilambretta.co.uk/12v.html     and using a regulator.You can fit GP double sprung points(if not already fitted) which should suffice.Other than that it's the conversion using the AF lightened flywheel and a vespa stator but you have to sacrifice your Vega/J flywheel and stator plate,then find somewhere to hide the regulator and CDI unless you don't mind them on show.BGM do a smaller reg or use a Varitronic/Honda one.Not sure if it has been uprated for the Luna Line but the varitronic has poor lights at lower revs compared to a Vespa system.

wack 63

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top