Paint codes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Paint codes

Post  mickey c on Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:18 pm

Hi
Does anyone know a close RAL colour to the lechler 8016 (the turquoise) please?
I ask as I'm trying to keep things affordable but powder coating only comes in RAL codes. As long as the RAL code is a pretty close shade of turquoise, I'm hoping to keep spraying to a minimum, or maybe not at all or until I win the lottery / become master jewel their etc.

mickey c

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Paint codes

Post  Thackers on Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:50 pm

I'll see if I can find the rattle can I had made up to paint up my toolbox, if memory serves it was a V.W shade
Thackers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c on Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:13 am

thanks Thackers
that would be really helpful. Meanwhile I'll have look to see if I can find a RAL code for VW turquoise

mickey c

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers on Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:24 am

Here's the rattle can, the writing isn't the clearest but you might make something out from it
Thackers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c on Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:23 am

Thackers I woe you more than a couple of pints now!
that was helpful, with a bit of research it transpires that you can is L380 which some Bug research is a VW turquoise.
My eyes are not great and choosing colours is not a strength of mine. it doesn't help because from I can gather different companies use different codes to describe colours so Lambretta's are Lechler in this case 8016, VW's have that stated above. I guess they are different shades of turquoise but added complication is powder coating only listed in RAL codes and what my untrained eyes indicate RAL code 5018 is pretty close.
I'll check this with a paint shop near me and hopefully confirm this in case others want to know.

mickey c

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooter Paul on Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:17 am

Mickey, I have reservations about powder coat on Lambrettas. Mainly because the original paint was so thin it becomes difficult to fit some parts back together if powder coated. I wonder how many people moan about poor fitting headlamp rims on any model but have failed to take into account the thickness of their shiny new paint. As cost is an issue why not paint it yourself using aerosols? Quality can be very good these days.

Paul
Scooter Paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c on Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:54 pm

I think you are right Paul, especially fitting powder coated parts to bigger lammies, hopefully less of an issue with luna lines. There is so much rust on mine that it does need a blasting. Also although I've used loads of jeralite I think added confidence of powder coating should prevent future rust.

If it looks crap i will have to get it sprayed or I might even struggle to find s colour I like in powder coat, I'm hopefully getting close to getting to this point but bit more body work & modifications to finish 1st.

mickey c

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:08 am

Isn't there an alternative to powder coat that prevents rusting? Etch priming?

Powder coat is so dull I think you'd get better finish if you did spray it yourself (with your Dad's help)

Having said that at least it will make mine look even better if you do powder coat it Wink

Snails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:14 am

yours might look better but I'll be driving so fast, it'll just be a blue blur anyway!

mickey c

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snails on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:32 am

We are still talking Luna's aren't we?
Snails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content