Just saying Hi

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Just saying Hi

Post  bigbilly on Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:06 pm

Hi
Been a Lambretta owner for many years, owned a Vega for a short time in mid 80s but apart from a few trips up and down the road outside my house never used it.
I Love owning things that are tuned to go faster than they ever should!!
So for last year or two toyed with the idea of doing a Luna or J range that could hold its own against most standard scooters, so last summer picked up a apple green Lui 50 with the intention of sticking in a lot more cc's.
Shortly after stickingHiding in back of garage (to avoid having to answer the inevitable question "why do you need another Scooter, haven't you got enough already") I spotted on eBay a 140 Vega it didn't sell but I contacted the seller and bought very cheaply cheaper in fact than most unregistered wrecks are going through at.
So at the moment I've been sourcing the parts to upgrade the 140 for tubeless rims and dampers, with the aim using it to do quite a few rallies this year with the biggest being Euro lambretta in June, and getting the Lui back on the road in as near original condition as possible

bigbilly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Just saying Hi

Post  Scooter Paul on Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:45 am

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here with tips for tuned and 'factory perfect' rebuilds.

Paul
Scooter Paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers on Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:33 am

Hi Billy, the 140 you bought, was it the yellow one called Moondance? It had a feature in Scootering Mag I believe.
Welcome along and post up some pics if you can of both Lunas cheers cheers
Thackers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:08 am

Welcome aboard Billy
As stated, let's have a look at them please! Few details on spec too would be good and where / how did you get a front hub to go tubeless - I've struck out!
Also if you want to get your missus more on side & shift the Luna, my eldest is 16 this year & we fancy joining the crew, although the wife will kill me for another scooter especially to put her 1st born on!

mickey c

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gc on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:55 am

You need Sunny parts for a tubeless rim Mickey. I've used them front and rear
for a good while now as have others (Joey Fontane). Steve (Trotsky) is building a Vega now and regularly
puts pics up if you look showing these modifications as well as others people often ask
about.
gc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Moondance it is - for a while longer

Post  bigbilly on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:59 am

Correct the 140 is moondance, at least for the rest of year, colour not really my cup of tea and never been a great one for cleaning and polishing, but was never gone build an engine for price paid Cool, have toyed with idea of swapping engine into Lui, but got a garage full of half finished projects don't want to add more.

Will post some pics of them side by side when I can .

Just waiting on size of J range front hub spacer so I can cut down a s3 one, and will have all I need for tubeless conversion, although fitting might take longer as the thought of stripping another gearbox to fit lay shaft is not good - currently got two engines in bits to fit a cyclone to one and swap that gearbox into the other,

bigbilly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thackers on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:06 am

Nicely done. Was it you who had posted up on scooterotica that you were looking for a Vega? It will of been around the time Moondance was on Ebay.
You have got yourself a bargain as the ebay price I thought was a steal Cool
Thackers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigbilly on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:58 am

Thackers wrote:Nicely done. Was it you who had posted up on scooterotica that you were looking for a Vega? It will of been around the time Moondance was on Ebay.
You have got yourself a bargain as the ebay price I thought was a steal Cool

If you think the starting price that didn't get a single bid on was a steal, i better not say what I got it down too Twisted Evil

Wasn't actually looking to buy another at time, just happened to see it a few minutes before auction ended, enough time to stick it in my watched list, then after auction ended contacted seller. Impulse buy really.

Haven't yet giving it the proper run out it needs but the few small journeys I've made have been very promising, done a few tweaks and rectified a couple of minor issues, and changed that ugly ass seat, so should be ready for the modrapheniacs rally in two weeks which is about a 120 return journey

bigbilly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gc on Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:49 am

Billy, I'm not sure if you are converting a J range hub but if you are they have
3 fixing points for a rim not the 4 required for a tubeless rim - hence using Sunny
parts.
gc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey c on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:49 pm

I've got a sunny rear but scooter restorations sold out of front hubs, some are on route from India but have been for 12 months, if anyone has a spare, I'd gladly buy or swap for other spares I have.

Back on topic, I'm intrigued by the colour ! Also Billy you sound like you know what you're doing, I'm also intrigued to hear what you've done and will do.

mickey c

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigbilly on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:37 pm

gc wrote:Billy, I'm not sure if you are converting a J range hub but if you are they have
3 fixing points for a rim not the 4 required for a tubeless rim - hence using Sunny
parts.

Yeh it's ok know a complete Luna-tic who had a set of Sunny hubs going spare

bigbilly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigbilly on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:58 pm

mickey c wrote:I've got a sunny rear but scooter restorations sold out of front hubs, some are on route from India but have been for 12 months, if anyone has a spare, I'd gladly buy or swap for other spares I have.

Back on topic, I'm intrigued by the colour ! Also Billy you sound like you know what you're doing, I'm also intrigued to hear what you've done and will do.

Hmmm the colour let's say it's not exactly the colour a bloke would chose, as a female said to me "omg it's like Barbies bike"

Yeh I like to think I know what I'm doing but it's mainly by trial and error, I've got a pretty huge collection of holed Pistons from various engines I've built to prove it:evil: if I put as much effort into my day job as do into my hobbie I would be a lot richer than I am now Very Happy
Water cooled - that's where I would like to go, having built a water cooled TS and owning a DAC and knowing how well and how long you can rag a water cooled engine for as opposed to air cooled it's the future

bigbilly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum